Thursday 16 February 2012

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight - Jennifer E. Smith.

Published: 5th January 2012
Format: Hardback
Publisher: Headline
Pages: 240
Age Group: Young Adult
Challenge: Standalone Challenge, YA Contemporary Challenge
Buy this book: Amazon UK

Synopsis [Amazon UK]
Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?
Imagine if she hadn't forgotten the book. Or if there hadn't been traffic on the expressway. Or if she hadn't fumbled the coins for the toll. What if she'd run just that little bit faster and caught the flight she was supposed to be on. Would it have been something else - the weather over the Atlantic or a fault with the plane?
Hadley isn't sure if she believes in destiny or fate but, on what is potentially the worst day of each of their lives, it's the quirks of timing and chance events that mean Hadley meets Oliver...
Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.


The cover...
I love the cover of this book.  The fonts of the title are eye catching and I especially love the heart around the two people (a.k.a. Hadley and Oliver) highlighting that they are in a world of their own with the blurs of everyone around them.

How did I find out about this book?
I seen this book mentioned on a lot of other blogs and it sounded like a fun read.

What is this book about?

This book is about a girl named Hadley who misses her plane by 4 minutes.  This changes the whole outcome of her day as she meets Oliver and he allows her to see her life and everything in it in a different light!

My opinion...
 
From the start I was hooked on this intriguing love story.  From the chance meeting at the airport, their conversation with the old woman on the airplane to the trials and tribulations of her fathers wedding.  I am extremely interested in fate (kismet) and this book just gave me more to think about with a lot of 'what ifs'.

The sarcasm of Hadley when speaking to her parents and the witty come backs when speaking to Oliver made me relate to her a lot.  At some points I felt like I was in her shoes and figuring out what to do next.  I also found the comment on how Scottish people say 'girls' quite amusing.

However, it was the way in which Hadley and Oliver connected that got me sucked in.  It wasn't all about lust it was about working on your own differences with the help of a chance encounter leading to a strong connection of love.  This is what, in my eyes, made this book different from the rest.  We were able to see how they fell for each other through communication and taking chances.

At parts you know what is going to happen next, or at least you hope for it to happen and it's done in a way that avoids disappointment. I have no idea how the author was able to pack all of this emotion and activity into one day, but it was just right. I really enjoyed this book and I couldn't put it down, it was one in which you couldn't get enough of the main characters, yet the ending was still perfect.

If you enjoyed this book: what to read next...
If you wanted to watch a movie similar to this story then I suggest 'Sliding Doors'.  If I think of a book I'll update this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...